Waterfront homes for sale in San Diego make up a small percentage of the overall inventory of luxury homes for sale in San Diego. Not surprisingly, virtually all residential real estate that is waterfront in San Diego falls into the luxury category. The level of luxury depends heavily on where the waterfront homes are situated, and often, how they are situated. For example, a home with a sea wall and direct beach access in La Jolla will have a higher valuation than the same home situated in Imperial Beach or Oceanside. Below you will find a concise list of waterfront homes currently for sale in the San Diego area.
Waterfront Homes for Sale in San Diego – Listed Now
Waterfront Homes Search Area and Details
The waterfront homes listed for sale above go from as far south as Imperial Beach (just north of the US/Mexico border), to as far north as Oceanside. The homes featured here are all detached, single-family homes. If you are looking for a waterfront condo or townhome, please reach out to me and I will be happy to provide you with links to available properties. The search above is based partly on remarks in the MLS description. As a result, homes that are not actually waterfront may occasionally sneak into the results. Waterfront homes can be found in the following San Diego neighborhoods:
- Imperial Beach
- Point Loma
- Ocean Beach
- Mission Beach
- Pacific Beach
- La Jolla
- Del Mar
- Solana Beach
What to Look For in San Diego Waterfront Homes
Waterfront homes for sale in San Diego tend to start at around $5,000,000 and go up precipitously from there. It is not usual for waterfront properties in San Diego to be listed in the eight figures. Aside from the general San Diego neighborhood the home is situated in, there are a number of nuances that distinguish San Diego waterfront homes from one another:
- Privacy – Waterfront homes with larger lots and situated on bluffs or with some elevation can offer more privacy than homes very close to the beach. There are also some stretches of San Diego coast that are not readily accessible to beachgoers. Homes situated above rocky and/or secluded areas like La Jolla Farms can afford owners a great deal of privacy.
- Beach Access – Some waterfront homes have direct access to the beach. This could be via a short flight of stairs, or on some north county lots, the stairs might span over 100 feet of elevation change. Other properties may not be in the vicinity of a beach at all, or beach access might entail some walking or driving.
- Architecture – San Diego architectural styles vary widely and that also applies to waterfront properties. From beach cottage, to Mediterranean villa, to modern mansions, waterfront homes often present dramatic architecture.
- Protection from Erosion – With waves and ocean surges being nonstop forces of nature, some waterfront homes in San Diego are more at risk from erosion than others. Proximity to the water both in elevation and distance horizontally can factor into how exposed a home is to erosion risks. Other factors include but are not limited to seawall protection, soil conditions, slope, and where the home is sited on the lot.
- Views – While it’s easy to assume all San Diego waterfront homes enjoy a similar ocean view, the view can vary tremendously. Waterfront homes high on a bluff will experience very different views from a home on the boardwalk in Mission Beach, for example. The home’s elevation, architectural design, and orientation relative to the water also all impact views.
Buying a Waterfront Home In San Diego
If you are seeking experienced, sophisticated, and conscientious representation in your search for a waterfront home for sale in San Diego, I welcome the opportunity to connect. I often assist clients months or even years before they are ready to purchase, and I am happy to set up a custom-tailored property search so you can be informed the moment a potential match is newly listed. Thanks to my affiliation with Pacific Sotheby’s International Realty, I frequently have access to exceptional waterfront homes listed exclusively within our brokerage. I am also known for my discretion and take client confidentiality very seriously. Please reach out via email or by phone or text via the contact information below. I look forward to connecting!